MIDLAND LHASA APSO ASSOCIATION CHAMPIONSHIP SHOW HELD 18 APRIL 2004
SHOW REPORT – JUDGE TERESA WIEHE (LISIMO)
I had a wonderful entry for which I thank you all. I would also like to thank the Committee for their hospitality and my stewards who as usual worked in a very efficient and professional manner. I was made to feel most welcome and had a thoroughly enjoyable day.
My principle winners were: Bitch CC and BIS Cynthia Jones, Jejuna Silver Sixpence, Dog CC and RBIS Margaret Jenning, Cossy’s Kajagoogoo, BPIS Geraldine Young’s Avonbourne Piccolo, BVIS Mr & Mrs J Reynolds, Chethang Georgette.
I was delighted with my winners in all classes; however, I did find many other exhibits too fat, this resulted in them moving incorrectly and in some cases prevented them from gaining a placing. I also felt that since last judging the breed, in general the quality of exhibits had declined, particularly in some of the younger classes. There is such a deviance in heads, some being very broad with short noses and large nostrils, looking rather like Shih Tzus, others being extremely narrow with eyes too close together and snippy muzzles. I do think this problem needs redressing and breeders need to look at this problem closely or we will lose for ever the wonderful typical Tibetan expression. On the whole mouths were okay, although I did find one or two scissor bites, and several wry mouths. A phenomenon I found most strange was dogs with lovely expressions with plenty of chin but scissor bites and dogs with no chin and perfect bites! Front assemblies in general were mixed, ranging from Queen Anne front legs with mostly correct shoulder placements to very straight front legs with short upper arm and upright shoulders. Although having said this good front assemblies were in evidence.
For several years now it has been an opinion of some judges that the quality of bitches is superior to that of the dogs, unfortunately it now seems to me that the bitches are also declining. Is it perhaps because these dogs, that in some judges’ opinion are inferior, are now being bred to good bitches and are bringing the general quality of the breed down?
Please take these comments in the spirit intended and let us all work together to help the Lhasa Apso remain the wonderful breed that it is and continue the hard work and dedication of today’s experienced breeders and their predecessors.
Having made all these criticisms I was pleased with the winners in all classes and indeed some of those who went out of the ring cardless.
Veteran Dog (2)
1. Mrs M Shand-Clarke & K Shand-Robinson, Chethang Granville for Shanclar. Cream. Lovely typical head with good pigment and dark eye, beautiful reach of neck leading to well placed shoulders, level topline with good tail set, moved round the ring like a youngster. Beautiful well presented coat. One who can still hold his own with the best of them.
2. Mrs F Allen, Daraghugh Mr Dream Maker. Black, Masculine boy, good fronts, level topline and nice tail set. A beautifully coated dog in excellent condition who moved well.
Minor Puppy Dog ((6, 3 absent)
1. Ms H King, Vallena Indio. Black/White parti. Beautiful baby with the loveliest of heads in correct proportions with a super expression, good mouth, dark oval eye, and excellent pigment, good reach of neck, nice lay of shoulder, level topline and tail set. Loved his overall balance, very sound throughout. Still only a baby but shows much promise for the future.
2. Mrs T Gillman, Mytilene Lord Loxley, Black/White parti. Nicely balanced youngster, another with a nice head, lovely dark eye and pigment, moved and showed well. Preferred the mouth on 1.
3. Mrs T Gillman, Mytilene Budweizer, Brindle/White parti. Larger type than 1 and 2, well balanced youngster, masculine head, good mouth, dark eye and good pigment, level topline and good tail set.
Puppy Dog (15, 4)
1. Mr A Baxter, Fengolas Simply Wkd, Gold/White parti. Another nicely made puppy, beautiful proportioned head, dark oval eye, good mouth and excellent pigment. Good fronts, depth of chest, rear angulation and strong sound movement. Kept his good level topline at all times. Beautiful coat for age. One to watch. Best puppy dog.
2. Mr & Mrs R Davis, Marchtru San Marquis at Narmoak. Gold brindle/White parti. Another promising youngster, the same comments apply as to 1. Very close decision between the two; I am sure they will change places many times.
3. Mr N Haslan & Mrs W Cain, Kutani Alfie Moon. Gold. Loved the balance of this puppy, lots to like about him, super head, eye and expression, good level topline and tail set, sound mover.
Three excellent puppies.
Junior Dog (9, 3)
1. Mrs K Pearson, Chethang Fergus at Elisamay. Cream. Masculine well balanced youngster, nicely made throughout. Masculine head in correct proportions, lovely dark eye and pigment, good mouth, nice front and shoulders. Well angulated rear, positive mover. Good sound dog all finished of with a beautiful well presented coat.
2. Mrs K Surtees, Katay Pied Piper, Gold. Nice sized well balanced dog, good head and expression, lovely dark eye and pigment. Retained his shape and level topline both standing and on the move.
3. Miss L Yates, Rishlyn Rio Bravo for Swaybee. Red. Another with a good dark eye and pigment. Loved his balance, level topline, tail set and rear angulation.
Special Beginners Dog (5, 2)
1. Miss L Yates. Rishlyn Rio Bravo for Swaybee.
2. Mrs T Gillman, Mytilene Lord Loxley
3. Mrs T Gillman, Mytilene Budweizer
Maiden Dog (9, 4)
1. Mrs T Gillman, Mytilene Lord Loxley
2. Mrs K Surtees, Katay Chasing Rainbows. Brindle. Nicely balanced boy, liked his head overall, good level topline and rear angulation.
3. Mrs T Gillman, Mytilene Budweizer
Novice Dog (7, 4)
1. Mrs T Gillman, Mytilene Lord Loxley
2. Mrs T Gillman, Mytilene Budweizer
3. Mr B Seeney, Duguid Golden Hope, Cream. Well bodied, nice tail set, good quality coat.
Graduate Dog (4, 2)
1. Mrs L Deacon, Zanamop Miskins Dragon for Andolyn. Gold sable. Nice head with beautiful black mask and excellent pigment, well balanced with good level topline and tail carriage. Beautiful coat. Lovely temperament.
2. Mrs L Moran, Ballito’s Boston at Aibrean. Gold. Pretty head, level topline, tail set okay. Very happy dog.
Post Graduate Dog (8, 2)
1. Ms H King. Nedlik De Nato Of Vallena. Black/White parti. Eye catching dog of a lovely size with a correct Apso head in all the right proportions, has beautiful dark eye of correct oval shape, excellent pigment and good mouth. Nice reach of neck, good depth of chest, level topline, correct tail set and rear angulation. Beautiful quality coat of correct texture, moved well keeping his level topline and lovely balance at all times, overall a quality Apso maturing nicely. Pushed hard for the RCC.
2. Mrs A Waterhouse. Chtaura New Dimension. Gold/White parti. Masculine boy, another with lots to like about him. Correct dark eye, good reach of neck going into well placed shoulders, level topline, good tail set and rear angulation. Kept his lovely outline at all times.
Feel both these boys will have an exiting future.
3. Mr & Mrs O’Kane. Zharovon Zhiskan with Shigna. Gold. Nicely proportioned head, well laid shoulders and level topline, good tail set. Beautiful coat, moved well. Overall a well balanced nicely made dog.
Mid Limit Dog (5, 1)
1. Mrs A Luscott. Jalus Dan Dare. Gold. A lovely soundly constructed dog. Correct masculine head with everything in the right proportions, lovely well shaped dark oval eye and correct good mouth, nicely bodied with a good depth of chest. Excellent topline and tail set. Moved well and made an eye catching picture standing and on the move.
2. Mr & Mrs O’Kane. Kutani Firefighter JW Sh CM. Gold. Very sound dog, nice well proportioned head, good pigment, dark eye and correct mouth. Level topline, good tail set and rear angulation. Moved well.
3. Mr & Mrs Pegler. Cedarpoint Golden Eclipse. Gold and white. Heavy coated masculine dog of correct size.
Limit Dog (11, 2) A lovely class of quality dogs where some good ones had to go cardless.
1. Mrs G Watts-Catley. Zanamor Tiger in the Tank, JW. Gold. Beautiful well balanced dog, lovely correct head with dark oval eye, nice pigment and good correct mouth. Excellent reach of neck leading to nice shoulders and level topline, lovely tail set and rear angulation. Moved well covering the ground with ease. Super coat in beautiful condition, presented excellently. Looked good standing and on the move.
2. Mrs D Quelch. Cossy’s Captain Chaos at Ardquin. Gold/White parti. Another beautiful dog with the same attributes as 1. Very close decision between these two.
3. Mrs D Allenby. Anniseed Just a Star. Gold/White parti. An attractive dog of the correct size. Beautiful head, dark eye and pigment, with a lovely aloof expression. Good reach of neck, depth of chest, level topline and tail set. I loved his size and overall balance.
Open Dog (11, 4) Another super class where quality dogs went cardless.
1. Mrs M Jennings. Cossy’s Kajagoogoo. Gold/White parti. A lovely dog I have often admired and one I know who does not always do himself justice, but today he pulled out all the stops for his owner. I was delighted to be able to award him his well deserved crowning CC. A lovely balanced masculine dog, well conformed and bodied throughout. Good dark eyes, nice correct mouth, excellent well arched neck and correctly placed shoulders. Nicely ribbed back with a strong body leading to a well muscled rear with correct angulation. His beautiful coat was in tip top condition and presented beautifully by his owner. He kept his lovely balance and outline at all times. CC and RBIS.
2. Mrs A Waterhouse. Champion Chtaura Dream Machine. Gold. Quality dog, another I have always admired. I have judged him before; I loved him then and still do. Has everything I like in a dog, a beautiful head in the correct proportions with the softest of expressions without being feminine, nice oval shaped eye, good pigment and mouth, lovely reach of neck without being overdone, correct depth of chest and rib, level topline and tail set. He carried just the right amount of body weight with a well muscled rear, all of which enabled him to move correctly. This was all topped with a beautiful coat of the correct texture. His size and balance is super. RCC
3. Mrs H Gay. Champion Hazgaye’s Red Alert, JW. Red. What can I say about this boy that has not been said before? A superb dog with everything in the right proportions, finished of with a lovely coat and beautifully presented. He never lets his owner down and shows like a dream.
Overall three lovely dogs who when standing together made a stunning picture.
Veteran Bitch (2)
1. Mr & Mrs J Reynolds. Chethang Georgette. Gold. A beautifully balanced girl who only seems to improve with age. Lovely head with a soft gentle expression, beautiful correct dark oval eyes, good pigment and excellent mouth, still with full dentition. Good reach of neck, nice depth of chest and well ribbed body, carrying just the right amount of weight, good rear angulation and tail set. Her coat was in tip top condition and she moved around the ring like a youngster. Best Veteran in Show
2. Mrs C Lawson. Champion Forever Dimond. Cream. A nicely balanced bitch with the prettiest of heads with everything in the right proportions, lovely eyes and expression, nice shoulders, good level topline and rear angulation. Another who moved well and could show the youngsters a thing or two.
Minor Puppy Bitch (13, 6)
1. Mrs G McNally. Angadema Charlie’s Angel. Gold. Nicely balanced pretty baby with the sweetest of heads, lovely dark eyes, good pigment and mouth, liked her reach of neck, fronts and lay of shoulders. Good overall conformation. Still very much a baby but shows much promise.
2. Mrs J Watson. Cheolview I’m Special For Lynruce. Black/White parti. Another pretty baby having a nice head, good dark eyes and pigment, she is well bodied for her age with a very heavy excellent coat of good quality. Liked her overall balance. She is another who shows promise for the future.
3. Mrs G McNally. Angadema Ask For Me. Gold. Sweet baby with a pretty head in the correct proportions. Lovely reach of neck leading to correctly placed shoulders, good level topline and nice tail set. Her overall balance was good. I liked her very much.
Puppy Bitch (17, 4)
1. Mrs G Young. Avonbourne Piccolo. Black with white. A superbly balanced baby with correct dark oval eyes and good mouth, wonderful reach of neck, good fronts and shoulders, correctly ribbed body with good depth of chest, level topline and nice tailset. Loved her rear angulation and excellent muscle, this together with her good conformation, enabled her to move so well. Her superb coat and outline contributed to her looking beautiful both standing and on the move. BPIS
2. Mrs G Sumner. Truern Cover Girl. Gold. Lovely sized puppy. Pretty well proportioned head, good reach of neck, nice depth of chest, level topline and nicely angulated rear. I loved her overall balance.
3. Mrs H Gay. Hazgaye Cascade. Gold. Another nice sized well balanced puppy. Liked her overall conformation, just preferred the reach of neck of 1 and 2.
Junior Bitch (23, 7) A beautiful class of quality bitches.
1. Mr J O’Kane & Mrs W Cain. Kutani Daydream Believer. Gold. Beautiful well proportioned bitch with the loveliest of heads and having the sweetest of expressions, good dark pigment, correct dark oval eye and nice mouth. Lovely reach of neck leading to correctly angulated shoulders, well ribbed back with a good depth of chest, nice rear angulation all topped by a beautiful coat in tip top condition. She moved well making a lovely picture standing and on the move. One to watch for the future.
2. Mrs M Lewis. Aibrean B’Witched By Ballito. Gold. A beautiful glamorous bitch. She has a lovely head in the correct proportions, good dark oval eye and pigment, excellent reach of neck with correct shoulders and ribs, very good topline which she kept at all times, nice rear angulation all of which enabled her to move true. Overall an excellently conformed and balanced bitch.
3. Mrs C Jones. Jejuna Vagus. Gold. Another pretty well proportioned bitch with everything in the right place. She has the prettiest of heads and is nicely balanced.
Special Beginners Bitch (10, 4)
1. Mrs P Bridgens. Lapchis Flame Of Isabell. Red. A very pretty dainty bitch with the sweetest of heads and the loveliest of expressions. She has enough neck, correct shoulders, level topline, nice tail set and good rear angulation. Her coat of the correct texture was beautifully presented. She moved well and with confidence.
2. Miss S Bedford. Avonbourne Electra. Black/White. A very nicely sized bitch of excellent proportions who is very sound throughout. She has a lovely head and aloof expression, good neck and shoulder placement, level topline and nice tail set. Overall a very pretty, well balanced bitch.
3. Mrs S Rout. Simuje Karmen. Gold brindle/white parti. Another sound bitch of a nice size. Unfortunately she is a little out of coat at the moment but shows promise.
Maiden Bitch (11, 5)
1. Mrs G Young. Avonbourn Piccolo
2. Mrs G Sumner. Truern Cover Girl
3. Mrs C Jones. Jejuna Vagus
Novice Bitch (13, 6)
1. Mrs C Jones. Jejuna Vagus
2. Mrs J Hazelhurst. Zentarr Matilda At Corrolls. Gold. A very sound well constructed bitch, good dark eye and pigment, level topline, well ribbed, nice tail set and rear angulation. Moved very well and maturing nicely.
3. Mrs G Young. Avonbourne Kenmilltri Popcorn. Gold. Another sound bitch of good quality nicely made throughout and with everything in the right place. All finished with a beautiful coat of the correct texture.
Graduate Bitch (8, 2)
1. Mrs A Luscott. Jalus Dizzy Lizzy. Pale Gold. A lovely well balanced bitch, having a typical head, good dark eye and excellent mouth. She is well conformed throughout, having good shoulders, level topline and nice tailset. She moved without hesitation and full of confidence, with her lovely coat and nice outline she made a lovely picture standing and on the move.
2. Mrs R Grey. Becsgame Cover Girl. Deep gold. A quality bitch of different type to one but soundly constructed throughout, having a pretty head, excellent reach of neck, level topline and very good tail set finished with a beautiful glamorous coat of correct texture. Excellent overall balance. Not the mouth of one.
3. Mr & Mrs D Chalmers. Chethang Emily Jane. Gold. A glamorous heavy coated pretty bitch with good conformation throughout. Loved her beautiful shape and balance.
Post Graduate Bitch (16, 7)
1. Mrs P Torrance. Sinyul Let’s Stay Together JW. Black & White. I really loved the balance and outline of this beautiful bitch. She has a very pretty correctly proportioned head with good dark oval eyes and dark pigment making a true Tibetan expression. Her reach of neck is super leading to good shoulders a level topline and correct rear angulation. She moved well and correctly. Overall a very attractive stylish bitch.
2. Mrs B Bushell. Chtaura Prima Donna For Jamikasoka. Silver Brindle. Another bitch with a lovely balance. She has a very pretty head, correct dark eye, good pigment and excellent mouth, a lovely reach of neck leading to correct shoulders, level topline and good rear angulation.
3. Mrs C Howe. Hazgaye Fascination At Ladakhpass JW. Dark gold & white parti. Have judged this dog before, liked her then and she continues to mature nicely. I liked her overall balance and beautiful textured coat. She moved and showed well.
Mid Limit Bitch (4)
1. Mrs A Waterhouse. Chtaura Kiss Me Honey JW. Gold. Fabulous bitch, loved everything about her, from her exquisite head, beautiful eyes, dark pigment, excellent mouth, and delightful melting expression set in a beautiful dark mask, down to the tip of her tail. Her lovely conformation was finished of with a beautiful coat in tip top condition, She oozes style and quality. One I would love to have taken home with me. She should gain her crown before too long. RCC.
2. Mrs M Lewis. Deelayne Indulgence. Black. Very nice bitch with a lovely Tibetan expression having a good dark eye and pigment, well made throughout with a nicely arched neck, good well laid back shoulders, level topline and correct tail set. She has just the right amount of rear angulation without being overdone all topped with a beautiful quality gleaming coat.
3. Mr & Mrs Thompson. Coro’s Sunburst Of Pennyparades. Gold. Very heavily coated bitch having a very pretty head with everything in the right proportions. Would like just like a little more neck on her. A well balanced bitch who moved and showed well.
Limit Bitch (14, 1) A lovely class where quality bitches went cardless
1. Messrs. Dungate & Minton. Forochel Vanity. Grey/White parti. Another outstanding quality bitch who has everything going for her. She has a lovely head and expression with beautiful dark eyes and pigment and a good mouth. Strong well arched neck, good shoulders, correct heart shaped chest and excellent tail set. She looked a lovely picture standing and on the move. She is another who should not be long in gaining her crown and who pushed hard in the challenge.
2. Mrs C Walker. Zentarr Zeeta At Shigatse. Gold. A pretty, nice sized bitch with everything in the right place. Her head is in the correct proportions with a sweet expression, having lovely dark oval eyes, pigment and correct mouth. She has good overall conformation, her coat texture is excellent and in tip top condition. She didn’t show quite as well as she can today but did enough to gain this well deserved placing.
3. Mrs J Hazelhurst. Patarch Prim And Proper At Corrolls. Black/White parti. A beautiful correctly sized bitch I have admired and judged before, I liked her then and she did not disappoint today. She has the loveliest balance, prettiest of heads and is maturing nicely.
Open Bitch (14) A fabulous class where I wished I had more cards to award.
1. Mrs C Jones. Jejuna Silver Sixpence. Gold. A fabulous bitch who caught my eye as soon as she entered the ring. She is one I know who does not always give of her best but today she was on top form and walked in the ring as if she knew it was her day, holding her head high and moving positively round the ring oozing quality. I have never seen her looking so good. She has a beautiful head with excellent pigment and dark oval eyes, a nice chin and good mouth, all giving her a lovely gentle expression. Her neck is nicely arched leading to well placed shoulders, she has the correct well laid back rib, level topline and a nicely unexaggerated angulated rear. She is well muscled and carries the correct amount of weight. Her beautiful coat positively gleamed in tip tip condition, this together with her lovely outline made a beautiful picture standing and on the move. I was delighted to award her her well deserved crowning CC and BIS.
2. Miss G Holland. Champion Deelayne Ever Decent. Gold/White parti. Another of my favourites who I have often admired. She is a beautifully balanced bitch with the most exquisite of heads, having the loveliest of gentle Tibetan expressions. She has an excellent well arched neck leading to well placed shoulders and a level topline, her tail carriage is correct as is her rear angulation. Her overall conformation is good without being exaggerated in any way and her lovely frame carries just the right amount of weight enabling her to move freely and confidently.
3. Mr S Purse & Mr & Mrs J Chalmers. Chethang Billie Jo. Cream. Another beautiful bitch with much to admire. I loved her size and overall balance; she has the prettiest of heads and is nicely conformed carrying just the right amount of weight. She has the most glamorous of coats which together with her overall balance and outline makes a very attractive picture.
Three very lovely bitches in a particularly strong class.
Teresa Wiehe (Lisimo)